Heidelberg Materials presents evoZero, the first CO₂-zero cement


Emma Potter

Heidelberg Materialsthe new brand that has inherited Italcementi’s legacy, presents to architects, engineers, construction companies and Real Estate evoZerothe first cement to zero balance of CO₂ emissions.

«The cement industry is determined to achieve the goal of carbon neutrality and is called upon to support large investments to reach this goal. The cement production process produces carbon dioxide, due to the composition of the natural raw materials we use – he has declared Stefano Gallini, CEO of Heidelberg Materials Italy -. To reach the “zero CO₂” objective it is necessary to introduce pioneering technologies such as Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) which capture CO₂ from the production process to store it or reuse it, making it available for other industrial processes. evoZero is the concrete result of this commitment: thanks to the investments of our Group, we are achieving the goal of net-zero cement, which will allow us to reduce the carbon footprint of the entire construction chain, starting right from the first link represented by cement ».

Heidelberg Materials presents evoZero, the first zero CO₂ balance cement evozero presentation Round table

The advantages of evoZero

Sergio Tortelli, Product Director Of evoZero Of Heidelberg Materials has explained: «evoZero will be available for the Italian market in mid-2025 through an innovative solution. The credits accrued by the system will be used Brevik in Norway, where the actual capture of CO₂ will take place, and through a certified system that exploits the potential of blockchain it can be sold in Italy. This solution characterizes the product as net-zero carbon upon delivery .

Tortelli then added: «Who acquired evoZero in this way you will be able to exploit the advantages brought about by the best sustainability performances, taking on a leadership role in the sector and achieving, for example, some of the objectives measured by recognized protocols, such as the Science Based Targets Initiative (SBTi)».

What is CCS – CO₂ capture and storage

The production of cement worldwide involves CO₂ emissions equal to approximately 6-8% of all carbon dioxide emitted, most of which derive from the chemical reaction underlying the product. Approximately 65% ​​of the carbon dioxide produced is released when the limestone (the raw material) is cooked in the kiln, while the remaining 35% is released from the cooking process used to obtain the cement. Reduce its environmental impact as much as possible This is the goal he has set himself Heidelberg Materials which aims to cut CO₂ emissions into the atmosphere by 50% by 2030and then achieve the goal of carbon neutrality in 2050 as foreseen by the EU.

Carbon capture and storage technology (called CCS) for the building materials sector, a sector considered hard to abate, is certainly a way to make products more sustainable and create less impactful production sites on a large scale.

As in the case of concrete evoZero Of Heidelberg Materialsthe first in the world with zero CO₂ emissions which makes the objective of carbon neutrality achievable through carbon dioxide capture and storage technology in the Norwegian plant Brevikwithout compensation from credits generated outside the company supply chain.

The carbon capture and storage system (CCS) is a very important piece to achieve a Net Zero level of emissions and is essential to allow large cities, where attention to the environment cannot ignore construction, to be ambitious CO₂ reduction targets – how Milan which aims for zero emissions by 2030.